Side bends of course work those oblique muscles, but they also help to strengthen your lower back.
Side Bend Modifications
Based on your Fitness Level
- Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert: All levels will want to use one dumbbell. For each fitness level you will want to pick a weight that is challenging but allows you to finish each set.
Step-By-Step Instructions to Complete a Side Bend:
- Stand tall with your legs about hip-width apart.
- Place your left hand on your hip or behind your head. With your right hand hold the dumbbell down by your side with your arm straight.
- Lower your right arm with the dumbbell in it, down the side of your body, bending your body gently to the right. Once you have stretched down as far as possible (about to your knee) slowly bend back to the starting positing.
That is one Side Bend. Continue through the set on your right side, then switch and do the same thing on your left.
LOOKING FOR OTHER Core Exercises LIKE THE Side Bend? CHECK OUT A FEW OF MY FAVORITES!
NEED SOME LOW FAT RECIPES TO REACH YOUR WEIGHT LOSS GOALS? CHECK OUT A FEW OF MY FAVORITES!
- Mango Salsa
- Blueberry Compote Banana Sundae
- Spicy Shrimp and Noodles
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Chicken and Bok Choy
- Turkey and Asparagus Pasta
- Spinach and Chicken Orzo Bake
- Sautéed Shrimp and Spinach