Basic Squats target your thighs, quads, and hamstrings, as well as your glutes. However it is very important to focus on a tight core while completing the squat movement to prevent lower back injury.
Basic Squat Modifications
Based on your Fitness Level
- Beginner: Body weight
- Intermediate: Holding a heavy dumbbell center, at waistline.
- Expert: Holding a heavy dumbbell at waistline and having a fitness band around your lower thigh, just above your knee
Step-By-Step Instructions to Complete the Basic Squat:
- Stand straight with feet hip-width apart, toes facing forward.
- Drive your hips back, bending at the knees and ankles. Pressing your knees slightly open as you bend down. Sit into a squat position while still keeping your heels and toes on the ground, chest up and shoulders back. (Work to eventually reach parallel, meaning knees are bent to a 90-degree angle.)
- Press into your heels and straighten your legs, pressing through your knees to return to the standing position.
That is one rep. Complete the number of recommended reps.
FORGET ABOUT COMPLICATED DIETS, START LOSING WEIGHT TODAY!
Hey! Jenn here, the creator of A Dash of Macros!
I have been exactly where you are, struggling to lose the unwanted weight. Struggling to find anything that actually works to lose the weight and keep it off. Trying to fight the aging process, while watching my metabolism slow down, my love handles and lower midsection expand.
I have tried all those fad diets and tested all of the different nutrition approaches. From Low Carb to Low Fat, Keto to Whole 30, Intermittent Fasting to Intuitive Eating, and everything in between.
If you have ever tried any of these restrictive diets before, you understand how hard they can be to follow, how restrictive they can be, and how much time and energy they take. Leaving you feeling hungry, deprived, irritable, and lacking energy. Making them impossible to stick with.
If you somehow stuck to those diets and lost the weight, you eventually put that weight back on. Why? Because they are fad diets, they are not sustainable lifestyles. They are a quick fix but don’t withstand our busy lives.
FORTUNATELY, I HAVE CREATED ANOTHER WAY!
LOOKING FOR OTHER MORE BOOTY EXERCISES LIKE THESE BASIC SQUATS? CHECK OUT THESE FAVORITES:
LOOKING FOR HEALTHY MEAL PREP RECIPES? CHECK OUT A FEW OF MY FAVORITES!
- Tomato & Coconut Chicken
- Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Green Chili
- Aji Chicken and Broccoli
- Pesto Shrimp and Asparagus
- Classic Egg Salad
- Broccoli Couscous
- Cajun Sausage One Pot Meal