Looking for a light lunch recipe that is also great for meal prep and counting macros. Try my honey soy shrimp and broccoli recipe.
- Steamer Basket
- In a small bowl combine: honey, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flake, and garlic. Stir until well combined. Then set aside.
- Add raw, peeled, deveined, tail on shrimp to a large bowl. Toss with half of your honey soy sauce. Then cover with plasic or a lid and place in the fridge to marinate for 15 – 20 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, heat a medium sauce pot with about 1 inch of water at the bottom, to a boil. Place steamer basket in the sauce pot, making sure water level is below the bottom of the basket. Put the broccoli into of the steamer basket, cover with the lid and cook for 8 minutes. Once done, the broccoli should still have a little crisp to it. Drain the water and remove the steamer basket.
- By now the shrimp should be done marinating. Heat a large saute pan to medium heat. Once the pan is hot add the shrimp and the marinade to the pan. Spread shrimp out evenly in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. The shrimp will start to change from a translute color to a light whitish pink color. Then flip the sprimp and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes on each side the shrimp should be just about done. Now add the broccoli to the pan with the remainder of the honey soy sauce. Toss everything together and cook for another 1-2 minutes ensuring the shrimp is done and allowing the broccoli to soak up some of that sauce.
- Serve and enjoy. Or portion out into your meal prep containers.
Are you meal prepping? Do you count your macros or calories? Check out my notes below on how you can incorporate this honey soy shrimp and broccoli recipe into your meal prep. Also how you can easily adjust protein, carbs, and fats to meet your macro requirements.
NOTES FOR MEAL PREP:
This honey soy shrimp and broccoli is a wonderful recipe for meal prepping. You can store each serving in the fridge for 5-7 day and eat it as it fits your meal plan. For reheating, microwave covered with a wet paper towel to help trap in the moisture of the shrimp and broccoli. Cook for 30 – 45 seconds, remove paper towel and stir everything together. Cook for an additional 30 seconds without the paper towel.
NOTES FOR COUNTING MACROS:
This recipe really does allow for easy adjustments, making it helpful for anyone trying to meet their macro goals.
The majority of the protein in this recipe comes from the shrimp. You can easily adjust the amount of shrimp without changing the flavor of this recipe.
- For every 1 ounce of shrimp you can increase or decrease the protein macro by 6 grams.
So go ahead, add as much or as little protein as you would like to this recipe.
The main ingredient contributing to the carbohydrate in this honey soy shrimp and broccoli recipe, is the broccoli. As a result, adjustment of the carb macro is extremely easy.
- For every 50 grams of broccoli you can increase or decrease your carbs by 3.3 grams.
This recipe only calls for 350 grams of broccoli, which is an entire head of broccoli. Therefore it you are looking to increase the carbohydrates, you will want to purchase another head of broccoli.
There is little to no fat in this recipe. You could increase the fat by adding additional ingredients like avocado, or tossing the broccoli in a little butter before adding it in with the shrimp.
But, my recommendation is to leave the fat in this recipe as it is. And allow yourself to enjoy other healthy fats throughout the day in your snacks.
When making adjustments to the macros with this honey soy shrimp and broccoli recipe, you will want to keep in mind the number of servings you are making.
Can’t get enough shrimp?
You should give my Shrimp and Couscous recipe a try!