- 1 1/2 cups Quick Oats
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa (cooked following package direction, then cooled)
- 2/3 cup Vanilla Protein Shake Mix
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/4 cup Syrup (Walden Farms, has zero fat and sugar!)
- 2 tbsp Almond Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 Cup Fresh Blackberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the cooking rack in the middle of the oven.
- Lightly coat a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. It is always a good idea to have a little overhang, this gives you something to grab onto when you want to remove the food from the pan. Then lightly coat the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients: oats, quinoa, protein mix, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl combine all wet ingredients: milk, apple sauce, syrup, almond butter, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Once both mixes are combined, pour the dry mix into the wet mix, about a quarter cup at a time. Mix well and continue to add until all dry ingredients have been incorporated into the wet mix. The consistency will be similar to thick oatmeal.
- Now to layer your quinoa mixture with your blackberries: Pour half of the quinoa mixture into baking dish. Next spread the all of the diced blackberries on top of the quinoa mixture. Then gently pour the other half of your quinoa mixture over top of the blackberries. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Be sure to to gently press the mix into the pan to remove any air pockets. You can also lift the dish 1-2 inches from the counter and then firmly smack it back down on the counter, be careful but firm. This trick helps to remove the air pockets from the dish. You want to remove the air so your dish doesn’t turn out too crumbly and you are able to cut it into squares.
- Cook for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top is golden brown and you are able to insert a toothpick and remove it cleanly.
- Once done remove from the oven. Using the overhang of the parchment paper pull the entire mixture out of the dish. Place on a wire wrack to cool for at least 15 minutes to ensure they set up.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve!
Kcals: 190 / 9.7g P / 26.1g C / 5.3g F
These bars are delicious a little warm, the blackberries are gooey and delicious. Or store them in the fridge for up to a week, eat cold or heat up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. You can even freeze them, they take about 45 minutes to an hour to defrost.