Sick and tired of the same old boring side dishes? Well let me tickle your taste buds with this sweet potato and okra, the perfect side dish. I am telling you, this is going to be a winner! I’m not a big fan of okra but this recipe has changed my mind!
- Heat a large saute pan with a lid to medium heat. Once the pan is hot add the water and the sweet potaoes to the pan. Cover with the lid and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. We are simply steaming the potatoes to get them fork tender.
- Once the potatoes are about fork tender remove the lid. If all the water hasn't yet been absorbed, allow to cook with the lid off for a few moments to allow the water to be fully incorporated, or evaporate.
- Now add the butter, okra, and red onions to the pan with the potatoes. Toss everything together, coating with the butter as it melts.
- Season with the pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes uncovered, stirring every minute or so to prevent burning. You dont want to over cook the okra or it will become slimy.
- After 5 minutes add the syrup to the pan. Toss everything to coat with the syrup. Then serve and enjoy!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
I owe this sweet potato and okra, the perfect side dish to my best friend. Never really being a big fan of okra, she changed my mind! One year I was home for Christmas and she was putting together her Christmas dinner. Since I love to cook, you know I jumped right in to help her and this is the dish she had me help with. Although, she did have more than just sweet potatoes in her dish, in fact I don’t really remember exactly what was in her recipe. Therefore this is my loose interpretation of her recipe incorporating all my favorite parts! Sarah Riutta, thank you for the inspiration of this dish!
Meal Planning, Meal Prepping, and Counting Macros:
Typically I give all sorts of additional information about how you can adjust the macros, the best way to meal prep, store, and reheat each recipe. Well, I am not going to do that for this recipe. This recipe is super quick to toss together you won’t need to meal prep it. Additionally, this is a carb forward side dish, perfect to go along side your favorite cut of protein. My other half and I love this recipe with a gorgeous seared steak. But, feel free to enjoy this recipe with anything your heart desires.
However, the one thing I will put out there is: this sweet potato and okra is the perfect side dish and you are going to want to add this dish to your meal plan…I am telling you, you’re going to LOVE IT!
Looking for a lighter side?
Check out my Lemon Asparagus with Feta!