Servings: 4 (3 tacos each)
- 16 oz Angus Beef Top Sirloin Steak
- 20 g Jalapeno Pepper, sliced (half a pepper)
- 50 g Red Onion, shaved (half a medium onion)
- 1 Cup Cilantro, washed and roughly chopped
- 40g Cotija Cheese, grated
- 100 g Avocado, sliced (half an avocado)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
- 16 White Corn Tortillas
- 1 tbsp Steak Seasoning: Combination of Garlic, Pepper, Salt, & Cayenne
- Bring steak to room temperature by allowing it to sit on the counter for about 15 minutes.
- While waiting for steak to reach room temp, prep all the ingredients: slicing, shaving, and grating as listed above.
- Season steak generously on both sides, with steak seasonings.
- If there is fat around the sides of the steak, score the fat with a knife every inch. This will prevent the steak from rolling up while cooking.
- Bring a large grill pan to medium/high heat and drizzle olive oil over hot pan.
- Place the steak in the pan, allow to cook untouched for about 5 minutes. You will start to see the color change on the sides of the steak. Once you see the color change about half way up the side of the steak flip it. Cook for the same amount of time on the other side. The first side should have really nice grill marks.
- Keeping an eye on the steak and watching the color change is key. Once you see that the side of the steak has changed color, form both top and bottom the steak should be done to about a medium rare. Of course I always recommend checking meat with a thermometer, if you are unsure. Timing also depends on thickness of steak, 5 minutes per side is for a 3/4 inch think steak.
- Remove steak from heat and wrap in tin foil for 10 minutes. This allows the steak to rest, and juices to saturate the meat.
- While the steak is cooling, toast the corn tortillas on the stove in a large pan at medium heat. Cooking on each side for about 2 minutes, this will give them nice golden brown color and will help the tortillas from breaking and cracking.
- After 10 minutes cut the steak into 1/8 of an inch thin strips.
- Assemble the tacos by first placing a few steak strips in the tortilla, top with onion, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, cheese, and squeeze a lime wedge over each taco.
Kcals 454g / 32.9g P / 47.1g C / 28.1g F