How to do a Deadlift: Step-By-Step & Video
Deadlifts, one of my all-time favorite workouts! This is a great lower body exercise as it works all of your major lower body muscle groups: Quads, Glutes, Inner Thigh, and Hamstrings. This exercise also works a few upper body muscles: Traps and Lats.
Based on your Fitness Level
- Beginner: Body weight, adding dumbbells if the movement is too easy.
- Intermediate & Expert: Using dumbbells
Step-By-Step Instructions to Complete a Deadlift:
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding dumbbells in front of your hips, palms facing thighs.
- Squeeze shoulder blades together to keep spine in a neutral position. Inhale first hinging at the hips, then the knees to lower dumbbells along the front of your legs, pausing when torso is parallel to the ground. (Ensuring to keep a flat back, core engaged, and chest forward).
- Exhale and drive through the mid-foot to return to the standing position, maintaining a neutral spine and keeping dumbbells close to the body throughout the movement. Fully extend hips and knees squeezing glutes at the top.
This is one Deadlift. Complete the number of recommended reps.
FORGET ABOUT COMPLICATED DIETS START LOSING WEIGHT TODAY!
Hey! Jenn here, the creator of A Dash of Macros!
I have been exactly where you are, struggling to lose the unwanted weight. Struggling to find anything that actually works to lose the weight and keep it off. Trying to fight the aging process, while watching my metabolism slow down, my love handles and lower mid section expand.
I have tried all those fad diets and tested all of the different nutrition approaches. From Low Carb to Low Fat, Keto to Whole 30, Intermittent Fasting to Intuitive Eating, and everything in between.
If you have ever tried any of these restrictive diets before, you understand how hard they can be to follow, how restrictive they can be, and how much time and energy they take. Leaving you feeling hungry, deprived, irritable, and lacking energy. Making them impossible to stick with.
If you somehow stuck to those diets and lost the weight, you eventually put that weight back on. Why? Because they are fad diets, they are not sustainable lifestyles. They are a quick fix but don’t withstand our busy lives.
WANT TO TRY MORE Lower Body EXERCISES LIKE THE Deadlift? CHECK OUT A FEW OF MY FAVORITES!
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss ARE LOADED WITH PROTEIN AND ARE GREAT FOR WEIGHT LOSS! HERE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITES!
- Mango Salsa
- Garlic Hummus
- Egg Salad
- Raspberry Muffins
- Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
- Honeydew Parfait
- Chicken Salad
- Raspberry Chia Seed Pudding
- Homemade Chocolate Granola