Chicken and Black Bean Soup
- 12 oz Chicken Breast (2 medium chicken breasts)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Power
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 60 g Yellow Onion, diced (1/2 a small onion)
- 25 g Jalapeno, diced (1 medium jalapeno)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, diced
- 60 g Cherry Tomatoes, diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp Low Sodium Chicken Stock Paste & 1 Cup Water (or Chicken Stock)
- 1 tbsp Salsa Verde (optional)
- Heat a deep stove top with pan with lid to medium heat, while the pan is heating season the chicken breast on both sides, with black pepper and garlic powder. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tbsp the oil to the pan.
- Place the chicken immediately in the pan, leave it there on medium heat for 2 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Both sides should start to become golden brown, but the center will still look uncooked…If not, give each side another minute…your pan wasn’t hot enough. Then turn the heat to low and cover the chicken with a lid. Let it cook for about 6 minutes, then flip and cover again for another 8 minutes on the other side. This is based on 2, 6 oz breasts if using another size breast, cook 1 minute per oz per side covered.
- After 6 minutes on each side covered, the chicken should be done. But this does depend on the size of the chicken breast…again these times are based on a 6 oz breast. It is always best to check the internal temperature of chicken before serving.
- Once the chicken is done remove the chicken from the pan, saving the juices from the chicken in the pan. Allow the chicken to rest while you cook the remaining ingredients.
- Leaving the pan on the stove at medium heat, add the diced onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the pan with the chicken juices. Cook down for 3-5 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Now add your black beans, chicken stock paste, and 1 cup water (or 1 cup chicken stock) to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat, just enough to get the chicken stock to start boiling. Then turn the heat down to medium low and cook for another 4 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking shred your chicken breast using a knife and fork.
- Plate by spooning your black beans and broth into your serving bowl. Then top with your shredded chicken, and if you have salsa verde, top your chicken with salsa. The salsa add as a nice sweet flavor and rounds out the spice in the dish.
Kcals: 228 / 24.9g P / 21.6g C / 6.2g F