Mexican Street Corn Salsa
- 3 Ears of Corn, husks on
- 20 g Jalapenos, diced (about 1/2 a jalapeno)
- 50 g Avocado, diced (half an avocado)
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, diced
- 30 g Sweet Red Peppers, diced
- 3 g Cotija Cheese (1 tsp)
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- To prepare the corn you will need to soak it in cold water with the husks on. To do this first you must pull husks back but do not pull of, then remove the silk strands on the inside surrounding the corn. Then fold the husks back up.
- Fill your sink with cold water and 3 tablespoons of kosher salt, then place the corn into the cold water and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minute remove the corn from the water and shake off any access water. Now you are ready to grill your corn.
- Heat your grill or large grill pan to medium heat. Then place your corn on to the grill, still wrapped in the husks. Cooking them in the husks first will prevent the corn from drying out. Once grill marks appear rotate your corn, cook on all side until you have grill marks go all the way around the ear of corn, this will take about 10 minutes
- Once you have cooked the corn inside the husks, pull the husks back and grill the corn directly on the grill, rotating again as soon as you you begin to see grill marks. This is just a quick grill to get those nice grill marks. The corn is actually already cooked, so you only need to rotate the corn a few times. This will take about 2-3 minutes. Once the corn is cooked remove it from the pan and allow to cool a few minutes so it is easier to handle.
- While the corn is cooling, prep your other ingredients by: dicing your jalapenos, avocado, cherry tomatoes, and red peppers.
- Now that the corn has cooled slightly, it is time to remove the kernels from the cob. Hold the tip of he cob resting the bottom of the cob on your cutting board, and using a sharp knife, slice down along the cob to remove the kernels. The kernels will collect at the bottom of the cob on your cutting board.
- Heat a medium saute pan to medium heat, melt the butter in the pan and then add your corn kernels to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar then cook for one minute.
- Now add your diced peppers, to the pan and cook stirring often for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add your cherry tomatoes and avocado to the pan and toss together gently, cook for 1 more minute.
- Then transfer your cooked street corn salsa to a serving dish and sprinkle with the cotija cheese. Serve with tortilla chips, as a side to your favorite Mexican dish, or as a topping to a salad.
Kcals: 178g / 4.3g P / 28.2g C / 7.4g F