Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Penne
- 8 oz Air Chilled Organic Chicken Breast (1 large breast)
- 1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 112 g Organic Red Lentil Penne Pasta (about 2 cups)
- 165 g Broccoli, chopped into florets (1 small head)
- 1/2 cup Water (for sauce)
- 1/2 cup Pasta water (for sauce)
- .5 tsp Reduced Sodium Chicken Base (Better than Bouillon)
- 3 tsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 Fresh Garlic Cloves, diced
- 340 g Campari Tomatos, quartered (3-5 tomatoes)
- 2 oz Mozzarella Shredded cheese (2% milk or low fat preferred)
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Fresh Cracked Salt
- Red Pepper Flake
- Garlic Powder
Pasta is never guilt free, but with this protein packed red lentil pasta, you can eat pasta without all the guilt.
- Heat stove top pan to medium heat, while the pan is heating season the chicken breast on both sides. You can use any seasonings you like. My favorite go to combination is: Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Garlic, Dried Onion, and Cayenne. Once the pan is hot, add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan.
- Place the chicken immediately in the pan, leave it there on medium heat for 2 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Both sides should start to become golden brown, but the center will still look uncooked…If not, give each side another minute…your pan wasn’t hot enough. Then turn the heat to low and cover the chicken with a lid. Let it cook for about 6 minutes, then flip and cover again for another 6 minutes on the other side.
- After 5-6 minutes on each side covered, the chicken should be done. But this does depend on the size of the chicken breast…these times are based on a 6-6.5 oz breast. It is always best to check the internal temperature of chicken before serving.
- While the chicken is cooking bring a pot of water to a bowl and cook the red lentil pasta following the directions on the package. Once the pasta is done, remove from heat, drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water in a separate dish.
- In another pot while the chicken is cooking: Heat a medium sauce pan with about 1 inch of water at the bottom, bring to a boil. Place steamer basket in the sauce pan, making sure water level is below the bottom of the basket. Put the broccoli into of the steamer basket, cover with the lid and cook for 8 minutes. Once done drain the water and remove the steamer basket, toss with butter and season with black pepper. Broccoli should still have a little crisp to it.
- Once the chicken is done remove the chicken from the pan, saving the juice in the pan, and dice the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Now it is time to use all that juice from the chicken to make a sauce. Turn up the heat of the remaining chicken juice to medium, add the flour and stir until it becomes a paste. Then add the 1/2 cup reserved pasta water, the 1/2 cup regular water, better than bouillon chicken base, and diced garlic. Stir this around for a few minutes until it begins to bowl.
- Once boiling add the pasta, broccoli, tomatoes, and diced chicken. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Finally, add the shredded cheese and season with a dash of salt, several cracks of pepper, and a sprinkle of red peeper flake. Cook stirring for another minute, then serve and enjoy!
Kcals 500 / 43.3g P / 57g C / 12.7g F