Chicken Quinoa Bowl
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 cup Water
- 6 oz Chicken Breast
- 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Spinach
- 100 g Kumato Tomato, quartered (2 medium tomatoes)
- 20 g Avocado, sliced (3-4 thin slices)
- 1/4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Chives
- 10 g Red Onion, shaved (a few thin shavings)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flake
- Rinse Quinoa: Fill a medium bowl with 2 cups cool water. Place the Quinoa in the bowl and allow to soak for 3-4 minutes. Then drain the water out of the bowl. Next you will want to rinse the quinoa for another 30 seconds under cold water. This allows the outer shell to open.
- Now you can cook the quinoa. Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat, add 1/2 cup water and the rinsed quinoa to the sauce pan. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, until the water has soaked completely into the quinoa.
- While the quinoa is cooking cook the chicken. Heat a stove top pan to medium heat, while the pan is heating season the chicken breast on both sides, using black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and crushed red pepper. Once the pan is hot, add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan.
- Place the chicken immediately in the pan, leave it there on medium heat for 2 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Both sides should start to become golden brown, but the center will still look uncooked…if not golden, give each side another minute…your pan wasn’t hot enough. Then turn the heat to low and cover the chicken with a lid. Let it cook for about 6 minutes, then flip and cover again for additional 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes on each side covered, the chicken should be done. But this does depend on the size of the chicken breast…these times are based on a 6 oz breast. It is always best to check the internal temperature of chicken before serving.
- While both the chicken and quinoa are cooking, quarter your tomatoes, shave your onion, and slice your avocado.
- Then add your spinach and tomatoes to a serving bowl.
- Once the quinoa is finished, remove from the heat, add the butter, chives and season with salt, stir to combine. Then place in your serving bowl.
- Now, your chicken should be done, remove it from the pan and cut into bite size pieces. Add the diced chicken to the bowl.
- The base of your bowl is complete. To finish it off, top with your sliced avocado and shaved red onion!
Kcals: 522g / 44.3g P / 39.4g C / 21.5g F